TODAY IN PHILIPPINE HISTORY
St. Scholastica’s College was founded by five young German sisters: Mother M. Ferdinanda Hoelzer, OSB, Sr. Petronilla Keller, Sr. Cresentia Veser, Sr. Winfrieda Mueller and Novice Alexia Ruedenauer on December 3, 1906 at the request of Apostolic Delegate Monsignor Dom Ambrose Agius, O.S.B. and Archbishop of Manila Jeremiah James Harty, D.D. to give religious education to the poor children of Manila.
Archbishop Harty also gave the same request to the Christian Brotherswhich led to the establishment of De La Salle College in 1911. The site of the St. Scholastica’s College then was a small residential house surrounded by fishermen’s huts in the fishing village of Tondo. There were then six paying students and 50 non-paying students or scholars.
(Ref: Wikipedia; Photo from www.olca.edu.ph/olca_history.html; Photo from en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Scholastica%27s_College,_Manila)